It was 26 years ago today that my Dad passed from this life to the presence of our heavenly father. I often find myself quoting things that Dad said. He’d probably be surprised how well I really listened.
Here are 26 things my Dad said to me.
1. It’s not just what you say that is important. How and when you say it can be just as important.
2. This is going to hurt me more than you. (Before I got a whuppin.)
3. If a man would have friends he must, first of all, be friendly.
4. There is only one perfect FATHER and I am not Him.
5. There are no small tasks in God’s service, only small men.
6. Someday, when you have children you’ll understand.
7. Little becomes much in the Father’s hands.
8. You’re not doing God any favors when you are obedient. You’re bringing health and healing to your own life.
9. If you ever doubt that God has a sense of humor just look in the mirror. Your doubts will be instantly eliminated.
10. A little humility would do you a lot of good.(He was right!)
11. If you bring flowers home for no reason, you’ll never have to bring home flowers for a reason. (Dad actually never said this, but modeled the behavior.)
12. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
13. There’s nothing like your momma’s cooking
14. God doesn’t need you to judge others or to defend His reputation. He’s got it covered.
15. Don’t look back or the bear might catch you.
16. Don’t eat worms.Don’t run with scissors. Don’t stick your fingers in electrical sockets.
17. Concentrate on the main thing -Jesus.
18. Cherish God’s word, for in it you will find life and rest for your soul.
19. Character is who you are when people aren’t looking.
20. Behind every good man is a better woman.
21. Adam blamed Eve. Eve blamed the serpent. And the serpent didn’t have a leg to stand on.
22. If you don’t run with the dogs you won’t get fleas
23. Prayer changes things.
24. A gentle answer turns away wrath.
25. Your mom is always right, even when she is wrong.
26. No matter what you’ve done, you will always be my child. I will never stop loving you.
I think about numbers 1 and 3 constantly. They impact every interaction I have with others.
I am so thankful for the wisdom my Dad shared with me.